Friday, April 4, 2008

Fred and Ethel are BACK!!!



Wow, talk about surprises!!!! I was sprawled out all over the couch Sunday afternoon lazily reading the paper when I hear a tapping at the front door. I really wasn't sure if it was the wind or some branches blowing across the glass of the window, so I ignored it for awhile, and went back to my reading.


Then, there it was again, a specific tap, tap, tap, on the front glass storm door. Thinking that the old cowboy must have his hands full of something, and couldn't open the door, I jumped up to swing it open.........lo and behold!!! What a surprise I had!!!! My dear little friends had returned..........................


Fred and Ethel were back!

Yep, he stepped forward swaying his long neck back and forth giving me a spring greeting, for which I was thoroughly impressed! Of course, every year for the past 5 or 6, we have been the spring home for Fred and Ethel, who come from far away to labor at making a home (nest) for the future little goslins. It is so fun to watch them swim around, flying here and there searching for just the right things to build their soft home with. It must be truly an adventure to be able to fly here and there spying all the colors of the world in your life~


So, here it starts, the beginning of another circle of life. It can be harsh though...one year the bull snake grabbed several of Ethel's eggs before we could intervene. As it turned out, Fred was making the loudest form of racket and hearing Ethel screeching at the top of her little Goose lungs, I came running with a rake to ward off the bullsnake..ugh But, it was almost too late she had already lost two eggs and one was really cracked and stressed.


The next couple of years she managed to get her eggs to maturity and even took alot of time and effort teaching them the ins and outs of swimming. It is quite an accomplishment with all of the tornadoes, thunderstorms, coyotes, and other dangers around.


However, you guessed it again, the snapping turtles picked off the little things while swimming in a row following their mother, Ethel.... oh my poor thing.yes, lost her brood this time one right after the other. I can't remember exactly how many survived, but it was not too many...ugh. let's hope this is a better season for Fred and Ethel. I will look forward to informing you of their adventures as it unfolds!! We have managed to remove out of the pond, all the snapping turtles this year, and with Fred and Ethel, patiently await all those dastardly culprits who may be plotting harm to our sweet little family, who keep returning to us.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

mom, i think you could write a book about fred and ethel for kids. that would be perfect!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.